Thursday, October 11, 2018

Off on another Grand Adventure


Marchelo and I love to have adventures. From the very beginning of our relationship we shared a desire for exploration. As we have grown together over the past 17 years, our adventures have also grown in scope and complexity. Together we've backpacked the Lost Coast, traversed the Grand Canyon, hiked through the mystic blue waters of Havasu, and stood among the Giant Sequoias. We've rock climbed the Santa Monica mountains, skied the fresh powder slopes of Colorado, and witnessed the solar eclipse in the high desert of Oregon.


When I first started running 5 years ago, I never could have dreamed of all the amazing things I would get to experience through a sport I spent most I my life disliking. As someone who lacks any natural affinity for running, pounding the pavement through city streets surrounded by thousands of sweaty people has never been my idea of a good time, but it was road running that opened up the world of trail running for me, and thats when I knew that I had found my place.

I read somewhere that trail running is just "ultra-lite speed hiking with a snack bar every few miles", which is definitely a version of running that I can get behind. I don't run to break any records, and I am certainly not going to train harder to chase times. All I want is to be outside for hours and hours, enjoying the day, and taking in the scenery. I like feeling strong while spending time on the trail with my favorite person. Given that perspective, its a lot easier to see what there is to like about running.


Now we are on the cusp of another Grand Adventure and I hope you will come along for the ride. Over the next 2+ weeks we will be traveling by planes, trains, and automobiles. We will be packing light and bringing our running shoes, so stay tuned to learn about the miles we cover, the people we meet, and all the random, beautiful, and unpredictable things that happen when you dare to step outside your front door.

“And now, Harry, let us step into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.”
― Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

No comments:

Post a Comment

Last Day: Nagoya and Tokyo

It was hard to believe that we had finally arrived at our last day in Japan. Our flight back to the States wasn’t until late that night, ...